Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This Blog was created for the intention of extending discussions on literature by allowing students of 8A and 8B to discuss their books with not only classmates, but teammates and fellow 8th graders.
44 comments:
I enjoyed reading the first chapter of the book because Gawain was a funny man though he looks like a giant to Terrance and a funny thing that he said is that when Terrance asks him about if he is going to meet King Arthur, Gawain says that he is going to scabby hermitage to let a scrubby brat(Terrance) cook his dinner. Jonathan Yick Team:8B Date: 1/12/2009
In class we talked about how it is important to pay attention to all of the details the author provides us in a novel to visualize what we are reading. From reading the beginning few chapters of your novel, what pictures stand out most? Are some characters and places easier to picture than others? Feel free to reference specific pages so other bloggers can go back and reread these descriptions for themselves.
Mrs. M :)
I found the book to be rather dull for a comiedic book. It was not that accurate though when it described how the hermit was able to get his ability to forecast the future. Gawain never made much of an understanding to me because of his wandering throught the forest and how he landed on Terrance the boy. Why dosent Gawain like traps?
Cj Piazza pd 5 8b
I had started to read the story, and found it very intresting, in the sense that I am not used to reading books of the fantasy nature. Nonetheless I was entrigued by the authors ability to capture my attention with the different characters. I disagree with Cj, mainly based on my opinion, but I thought that the story was not dull at all. It is usaully hard for me personally to read a book, because it does not capture my attention. But I think that the story has been very intresting so far. The hermit is my favorite character so far. :]
-Maada Thomas 8B
Hey guys and cj i like your thoughts i dont get where hermit got that powere either. I really love this genre of like medieval fantisy :) althought it can get confuseing some times i can sort of relate when ternece was shooting the bow!! anyway i really did enjoy the first chapter...
Hunter Wissell pd8 8b
I have only read the first two chapters so far and I have really enjoyed them. I love how descriptive the author is. He uses many adjectives so the sentences aren't boring. For example, on page 7, second paragraph, he wrote " 'Come in, come in Sir Gawain,' the hermit continued jovially." He didn't just write continued. He wrote the adjective jovially which showed that the hermit was a very kind man. He is a very descriptie writer.
Harleen J.
Period 4
I am not use to reading fantasy or these kinds of medieval books at all. I honestly thought this was not gonna be funnest thing we were doing now. But the book is accually pretty interesting. I thought the second chapter was really good at the end when he let Gawain be a knight at the round table. When i started reading i thought Terrance was gonna be mistreated as in taken advantage of because he has to cook and stuff for Gawain but he accually isn't... which is good.
-Caroline Godofsky Period8 8b
When I started this book, I really wasn't expecting any type of comedy. My mom gave me more then one odd look when I started laughing while I was reading, especially at Terence's retelling of Gawain's battle with Sir Hautubris. I was wondering what the 'green thing' that led Terence to Gawain, and I also wonder at why Gawain was in the forest. To answer CJ's question, I personally believe Gawain dislikes traps because there is a higher possibility that the trap will not catch any food then a bow and arrow. I also like the hermit, and Gawain's senses of humor. I wonder if Tor will be an important character in the book.
Ayza A
I have read the first four chapters now and I enjoy it a lot. I knew nothing about King Arthur and his knights before now and after starting this book, I became very interested. And I think that it is easy to picture Terence. He seems really humble and modest. I think he turn out to be a more interesting character. The back of the book talks about his parents. I think they might be someone important.
Thomas Weng pd 3 8B
Hahaha I told you, you'd enjoy it Caroline. Just a question but does anyone have
any predictions about the hermit's power? Because by about chapter 2 when
Terrance and Gawin leave, it pretty much just leaves the Hermit out of the
story.
-Maada Thomas 8B
I agree with Tom and believe that Terence's parents and his past will become and important part of the plot throughout the story. With his past being uncertain, he will try to understand his past and who his parents were. Meanwhile, Gawain has been knighted and is reunited with his Uncle Arthur.
I thought that it was interesting, that when Terence asked Gawain where his parents were. Gawain replied that he didn't know, that after the kingdom of Orkney fell under King Arthur's rule, Sir Gawain started to follow King Arthur and not his parents. This shows he good of a king Arthur is, that would make someone follow him instead of their own parents.
So far so good....
-Jasper T Pd:3rd Team 8B
I like howthe author uses the different kinds of words that were used in medieval times. I have read the first three chapters and i have really enjoyed it so far. i really gets you thinking on what is going to happen later on in the book. And once i start reading it i want to read more and more.
Thomas Efstathios just made the last comment.
I agree with Jasper where he says that Terence's past will be an important part of this story. I'm wondering if Terence's parents are still alive? He might meet them later on in the story. I also think he might be linked to King Arthur somehow...I do not think that Terence will become a knight as he seems content as a squire.
Amani S. Pd 3 8B
When I started reading this book, I thought I wasn't going to like it because I am use to girly books or biographies but I really like the book. My favorite character is the hermit because he is really funny when he forgets the past and mixes up the future!!
Erin McElwee prd 8 8B
Hey,
I first want to say that I have really enjoyed the book so far. I started reading the third chapter and by the time I got to the fourth I didn't want to stop. If I could I would have kept reading but that's not what I'm blogging about.
So far i've been pretty much guessing at what the point of the story is but I like the this because it's a good way for the author to maintain the attention of his audience. My favorite character so far is Gawain, because he is really nice to Terence and because of the way he is sarcastic. The character I find most mysterious is the imp who keeps helping Terence.
I agree with the people who have said that Terences parents are gonna be important to the story because I find it wierd that they never mention them. I think it's possible that gawain parents will be really important figures in the books world.
Daniel Echeverri. Period 4
I enjoyed reading ch 8 of the book because it was hilarious how Sir Gawain tried to make lady Ettard love sir Pelleas because she hates him so much but at the end of the attempt, sir Pelleas hated lady Ettard while lady Ettard wanted to marry sir Pelleas which everything turned all the way around after the attempt and made this chapter funny. Jonathan Yick 1/20/2009 Team 8B
I was greatly pleased the story fleshed it self out as I readlater on. I found it funny how Gawain is like a mideval Termenator minus the shades with his lack of care when he killed the one knight and the jouster. I think the charater terrance will see the shape shifter again in the book. Will the shapeshifter have family? I found how the dwarf squire of tor is going to be a good mentor to terrance because he will tell him how to be a good squire. How many knighs has the dwarf gone through? Will Tor develop int the knight that merlin forecastes?
Cj piazza pd 5 8b
To be perfectly honest Cj I couldn't answer any of the questions even if I tried. But I don't think Tor will be a good knight because. through the course of the story he really isn't mentioned much as a knight. He seems to just be a secondary character rather then a main knight. But why is Gawain so bloodthirsty?
-Maada Thomas 8B
Hey,
I disagree with Maada about Sir Tor being a secondary knight. I think, personally, if he was he wouldn't have accompanied Gawain in the hunt, and beyond that. (I just read chapter's 7 and 8) I think that because Tor is traveling with both his experienced squire and the Lady who sounds like knows a thing or two about being a knight he will gain the training and experience he needs to become a great knight, and maybe a bigger character in the book. I found Lady Alisoun to be a little more then disturbing. Her attitude was extremely morbid, and it was troubling how she relished the thought of her knights dying 'noble' deaths. The part with the leg was especially sickening. I found Pelleas to be the singularly most idiotic and frustrating character I have ever read about, and that's saying something. The book is continuing to impress with it's comedy, and I really like it so far!
Ayza A
Yes, I agree that Sir Pelleas is a bit weird, as well as Lady Ettard. I think that whole mission or quest was pretty pointless. Nothing changed since the beginning. What I am interested in is where Gawain and Terence will head next? What adventures are east? I am also wondering about the lady and the knight who didn't talk. Who are they?
Thomas Weng
I feel that this book is entertaining but kind of pointless. There are so many characters that come into Sir Gawain and Terence's path and then venture off. I wonder if Terence will really unlock his past.
Jasper T. Pd:3rd
I don't think the book is pointless, Jasper. Didn't Mrs. M. say it was a series of books? I agree that there are some characters who get killed off too quickly, though.
Pelleas was quite a frustrating character, but I don't see how Ettard and Pelleas can ever have a future together...I think they're destined to be fighting eachother, in a loving sort of way? They both seem to enjoy it enough.
Amani S. Pd. 3
I just finished reading chapter eight and I thought this chapter was the funniest! I love the part where Nimue slapped Pelleas becuase the the comments she makes about after she slaps him were funny. I wasnt expecting Nimue to do such a thing becuase she seemed ike a magnanimous girl from the beggining. She definetly affected Pelleas' decision in showing affection for another lady! I do think that he deserved it becuase the comments that he made to Lady Ettard were very mean. He shouldn't have disrespected her like that. However, I found the end of the chapter halarious...especially the last line. I agree with Jasper that there are so many characters that come into Sir Gawain and Terence's adventure but then just leave but I still like the book:)
-Harleen Jaswal
period 4
Just a question but does anyone have
any predictions about the hermit's power? Because by about chapter 2 when Terrance and Gawain leave, it pretty much just leaves the Hermit out of the
story.
-Maada Thomas 8B
As i was reading this book I'm kind of wondering do any of the knights care or have any regret when they kill someone? It seems like its no big deal to them. Like when lady Alisoun is trying to get Gawain to tell her his great deeds and stuff. And since they kill alot of people in the book it's like that's their job to kill people...
-Caroline Godofsky Period 8
I really like the book so far! I enjoy the humor and the action. My favorite character right now is Tor because he seems really down to earth and responsible.
Erin Pd 8 8B
I am almostdone with the book, and i have to say that this book is one of my favorite ones. And i plan on reading the sequals. Some parts were confusing in chapter 11. Like when that girl said all of the waters in the world are contained in the moat. What does she mean? Also its kind if hard to figure out what some words mean.
-Tom Efstathios
Ok so I really like the book, however I don’t get the part where the people are i the water...can someone explain that to me?
Erin Team8b prd8
I liked the first few chapters and I really liked the hermit. I thought it was interesting how he could see in the future.
Ayush Gupta team 8B
I enjoy reading the last chapter of the book because I like how lucky sir Gawain was to kill the enchantress with his sword reflecting the sunlight to increase his strengthand killing the enchantress. Jonathan YiCK tEAM 8B
I didnt enjoy the part of gawin not get the girl becasue i like books that have a happy ending.
bryan rivers.
I'm almost done with the book and i really like it. The only problem I was having with it is some of the language in it because they say some things that are so much different then what we say. Also i had alot of trouble with chapter 6. That chapter really confuses me. Could anyone explain it to me?
-Caroline Godofsky Period 8
I just finished reading the book, and though I enjoyed it, I found some parts to be slightly frustrating and incomplete. For example, why was there so much fuss over Pelleas and Ettard? That whole section seemed kind of pointless. I also thought it was confusing how as soon as Gawain was made the "Maiden's Knight" they were spirited away from the castle. I wasn't surprised to hear that Ganscotter was Terence's father, I just wonder why he hadn't told him before. I also want to read the second book and see what happens next for them. Doesn't the fact that Ganscotter is sort of the 'king' of the Seelie Court technically make Terence a prince?
Ayza A
Over the snow day I finished the book hoping not to spoil the ending ifound it to be a shocker how wterrance is a fariy after all he should have known that from the begining. The hermit should have told him because he wouuld find who he is.
Cj piazza 8b
I think that the middle of the book was slow and boring. I thought there could have been a lot of more action.
Ayush Gupta 8B
I really liked the end of the book and how Gawain's mom turned out to be evil. I thought it was kind of weird that Gawain was fighting his father's armor.
Ayush Gupta 8B
I feel terribly sorry for the Queen and with what she is going through.I am appalled that they would consider executing royal blood. Even though she is no longer Queen, they wouldn't dare harming her. I also can not get over the fact that they took Jamie away from Qeen Mary. I wonder what Jamie would do to her murderers once he is older. Luckily it seems they will escape from the island, and all will be well?
Kimberly Kullmann Period 3rd
Post a Comment