Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This Blog was created for the intention of extending discussions on literature by allowing students of 8A and 8B to discuss their books with not only classmates, but teammates and fellow 8th graders.
51 comments:
After reading a couple of pages from The Cure, many thoughts and questions aroused in my head. First of all, I find it astonishing that people in this future world have to wear masks and are born in pairs; sort of like congenital twins. This reminds me of my religion, Jainism, because in Jain history, they believe everyone used to be born in pairs, and whoever they were born with would be their mate. Secondly, I am confused on why they use numbers and stuff for their name. Also, inferring from the book, they don't use gold except for bracelets. This raises a question on whether they traded at all.
Aayush V. Pd.8
In class we talked about how it is important to pay attention to all of the details the author provides us in a novel to visualize what we are reading. From reading the beginning few chapters of your novel, what pictures stand out most? Are some characters and places easier to picture than others? Feel free to reference specific pages so other bloggers can go back and reread these descriptions for themselves.
Mrs. M :)
Hey Aayush, these are my questions about the book. I read the first chapter too, and I was just wondering- (all jokes aside) how are people born in that time period? Like... you said how people are born in pairs. Well, how is that possible? Maybe these people were artificially created.........
Besides that, I think that the numbers are like serial numbers of a product. Each person (or should I say pair) is assigned a number. Maybe they do that for security reasons, like when they leave or enter rooms- etc, or just to keep track of everyone.
I'm not sure if I missed the discription for this part, but on page 11, it says- "He slid his wrist number over the scanner in the archway, and punched in their destination: Real Animal Zoo."
I was asking myself if that was a teleporter or something, or was that something else?
Aayush, I have no clue why they have face masks... it's like a "must wear" if you go outside.
The book so far(chapter 1) is appearing to be very strange. I am looking forward to reading more, and discovering how this ties into the midevil category.
AND PLEASE, IF SOMEONE HAS ANSWERS TO AUYUSH'S OR MY QUESTIONS, PLEASE BLOG!
Thanks...
David Z. Pd. 4
(Hopefully this is not off topic, but in case you were wondering, you can make your name italic or bold by inserting a HTML tag.)
I also just finished reading chapter one, and I think I can answer some of the other bloggers' questions that I have read so far. I agree that the idea of the bracelets is to keep track of all of the pairs, almost like your ID number at a country club that you put your food bill on. I was also thinking that when gemm "punched in their destination: Real Animal Zoo", it was so that the "screen voice" would know where they were.
Just a side note, I realized that the pairs had the same name, just that the girls had an "a" attached at the end.
Peter C. – 8B Pd. 4
I just read the first three chapters of this book last night. In response to the questions of the former posters, I think that the face masks are to protect each other from having any personal feelings towards each other.
I wonder why the author (Sonia Levitin) threw so much new information at us without thoroughly explaining anything?
~Brendan N. Pd. 4
In health class lately, we have been studing neurotransmitters. One that we studied was Seratonin, and I found that word mentioned in the reading many times. In class, we learned that Seratonin controls stress and anxiety. Did anyone notice in the book what the purpose of the Seratonin shake is?
I thought it was interesting (and sort of funny) how the characters in the book would always say "in love..." or "with forgiveness..."
I also noticed that the "great choice" was referred to many times. I wonder why they call it that and not "becoming a parent".
Peter C. – 8B Pd. 4
They probably say "In love," in every sentence and keep muttering things about conformity and tranquility and peace because it has become a sentence-filler to them, like "hi" or other greetings.
It sounds formal, but being formal is a custom 400 years in the future, at least in this book.
Also, you spell it like this:
SEROTONIN
Allen G.
Well... This book is very weird in the very first couple of pages. At first I thought was just going to be some boring book that we are going to read in IRLA. But, after getting past a few pages the book started to become pretty interesting. I wonder what will happen with this cure thing that is going to happen... I was also curious as to why they say "In love" every 5 words. WHY WOULD MUSIC BE ILLEGAL IN THE FUTURE????????????????????????????????????????
Mike E.
I FINISHED READING THE 3RD CHAPTER.
Hey Mike, I have no clue why music will be illegal.
I find it very strange. Also, I find the "folk facts" mentioned in the book interesting because they treat the past like some crazy out of the world time period. What I mean is that it doesn't make sense that they view 400 years ago like it was something very bizzare and crazy. Also, they have no real record of what happend in the past, which is kind of strange considering we have records dating back to the B.C.E. time period.
I just finished reading the 3rd Chapter, so I have a prediction about recycling. I think that recycling is when you get rid of your physical body, and then you will be put in a new one. It's kinda of like riencarnation thing in the Hindu religion.
Also, I am starting to think more and more that the people in this story are "artificially made." These people talk so mechanically, with "in love..." or "with forgiveness...". I don't think that they are real natural people.
This is book is very strange, but apparently worth reading. I am willing to find out what the cure is. I still can't get over the fact that music is not allowed......... or the fact that pain was never a factor............
David Z. Pd 4
Isn't it cool how my name is written on this thing? :)
Well, I've read a few chapters and all I can say is that I am CONFUZZLED. No idea why they are born in pairs or inside some wierd chamber (which sounds freaky), no clue as to why music and dancing and taking off your mask is like illegal (what kind of future is this?!), and of course they don't have any originality in each pairs name.
The author should've given us a few hints in the beginning, at least.
This book reminds me too much of The Giver. SIGH! Hopefully the author found a neat way to mix this with medieval history. SO MANY QUESTIONS!!
Martin R. Armenta
P.3
So far, I read the first two chapters of The Cure, and the book is constantly reminding me of Fahrenheit 451, in which intense feelings are not allowed, and the past is full of crazy things. Also, Martin, I agree with you. This book is just like The Giver, because of how confined the people's lives are. For example, the "Great Choice" (I am inferring) is a ceremony or special event that takes place when someone is old enough to have a job and become a parent, which is similar to the ceremony people have to go through in The Giver.
Also, it seems as if Gemm is the only one who realizes that he enjoys expressing emotions and dreaming. However, the world he lives in doesn't allow imagination or passionate feelings to exist, which is unusual...
Jenn S. Pd. 5
I do agree with all of you people, and Jenn, I read a little bit of Farenheit, and I do agree that it does have a connection.
WHO KNOWS WHAT RECYCLING IS? I have no clue, but like my last blog, I think that it's when you destroy your old body and get a new one. Like starting your life over.....
Do all of you people still think that this is on planet earth? Or am I just out of my mind?
David Z. Pd 4
Responding to David's question, it is quite difficult to answer the question of where the setting is but they could be living in outer space in a different galaxy because it is 2407 and anything is possible. I think Recycling is a ritual given to those who want to release themselves from the world and go to a far away place. It is said to be the "zenith of feeling"(page 32) which, inferred by when the Elder said it, is a feeling of extreme happiness. Since this book is Sci-Fi, it reminds me of many other books because of amount of technology the books have in common. I've noticed that they spell the word "tranquility" incorrectly because the author spells it with two L's. Do you think it may represent a destination where recycled members go to? The subtitle of the first chapter also contains "tranquillity."
Aayush Visaria Pd.8
Perhaps the misspelling of tranquillity is a mass typo but that would seem rather unlikely. More likely it would be one of the theories that Aayush has devised regarding the misspelling. My own personal theory regarding it is that the subtitle in the first chapter is that the label "year of tranquillity" is a similar label to Common era in which the years are labeled. Maybe with the foundation of the society, the years were relabeled from its previous title to the new one. Or, as Aayush said, the book could take place in some sort of parallel universe and thus, the labels would have originally been that way.
Jesse C. Period 8
After reading the first 3 chapters, I think that the characters in this book are human. It says on pg. 20, that there is a Womb Room where parents can contribute their eggs, and that those eggs will grow to fetuses. It also describes how the fetuses of the twins are already touching, just like those of a human's womb.
I think the reasons why everyone wears a mask is because you are not allowed to stand out from everyone else, or be unique. That's why they all say and do the same things. For example, on pg. 28, Gemm 16884 is told to walk, and he walks to the rhythm of the MedCom. The medic then accuses him of walking differently from everyone else.
Irene P. Pd.3
This book reminds me a lot of the Uglies series. They say interesting phrases like "in love......" like in the Uglies and Pretties novels where they say "stay icy......or stay bubbly"
Also, I find it very interesting that you are not allow to show feelings, and you have to wear a mask to hide your face. This book is very interesting and I hope that the next chapter will answer many of my questions.
Brittain Dearden PD 5
Why can't you be unique in the future world? It seems weird that everyone has to be similar to everyone else around it. Also how do they make it that everyone has a twin and that they are a boy and a girl? I have so many questions about this book.
Rohan G Pd.8
This book makes me have many different questions. First of all, how do they live without any emotions. They are not aloud to listen to music either. I could never live without music. I feel like the book was talking about robots after reading the first pages because of the numbers of the end of the peoples names. I feel that this is an unrealistic view of the future. I dont think that people would be able to die when they wanted to and I dont think that much would change about humans. I think that the technology would be massively changed and there would be more resources for people to use. This book raises a lot of questions.
Nikhil D. Pd.8
I just finished reading chapters three through six, and my brain is spinning! All of a sudden, Gemm is transported back in time to Germany: 1348. It is like reading two separate novels at once because they move from well into the future to over 1000 years back in time (2407-1348).
I had an interesting idea about the story line so far:
Gemm is being transported back in time to cure his deviance. According to the "elders", he can only be cured by having a horrible experience back in time. This means that in order for Gemm to be cured, Johannes needs to have some tragedy happen to him. On the other hand, if Johannes' life in the past is succesful, than Gemm cannot be cured. Either way, Gemm/Johannes will have to suffer in order to be saved in the other time period! I think that this is what the elders mean when they say "you will endure much sufferning" if he chooses to enter "the cure".
Peter C - 8B Pd. 4
In response to Peter's post, I don't think that The Cure is like reading two seperate novels, because I think that they are only in 2407 for the beginning and end, therefore not long enough to be considered a novel. Because of this, I don't think that anyone's questions about the future will be answered.
-Brendan N. Pd.4
Serotonin Shake
Ok. I talked to my partners about what serotonin is. (I dont have the book with me so I dont know how to spell it) It simply makes you happy and mellow. Does anyone have an idea why people take this drug? I think its just for peace, and so no one fights or argues. Anyone got any other ideas?
David Z. Pd 4
I agree about what Peter said. It feels like all of a sudden we start one story and then there is another one all of a sudden. As I started reading further into the novel, I realized how they connected to each other. Later in the book you can realize how the two stories connect. The story still is more about the past and how Jews were during the Black Death. I feel that there was no need for the book to go into the future, but the author did it to make it intresting.
Nikhil D. Pd. 8
Although the stories do seem connected I don't like how the author attempted to connect future with medieval times. The transition from one story to another seems too sudden in my opinion.
Responding to Peter, who brought up a really nice idea, I think that it's true that the elders would want something bad to happen to happen to Johannes to "cure" Gemm, but the book said that the elders were taking this experience from the past, meaning it already happened. I'm not too sure if I'm interpreting wrong but it sounds like it already happened so the elders know what's going to happen in the first place and simply put Gemm into the place that would be affected by it the most. Then that wouldn't explain why the Cure did not always work either...hopefully I will be able to build upon my thesis with more support as I read further into the book.
Responding to David, as you said, serotonin is used to soothe someone's emotions. In this society, emotions "disrupt" the tranquility of society so the simple solution to anyone's problems are overcome through drugging.
There is so many questions I wish to ask but I'd rather not flood the blog with my post.
Evan Z. Pd. 3
Not only does serotonin act as a drug to soothe people's problems, but it is also a source of artificial pleasure. Also, because emotions are not allowed in Gemm's time period, the only way to get pleasure is from other resources, like serotonin/drugs, for example.
Also, I agree that the switch from 2407 to 1348 is too abrupt, and I feel like I'm reading a completely different book. However, I read the seventh chapter, and Johannes occasionally has thoughts of being on red rocks or singing a tune (back when Johannes was Gemm). So, I think the author is attempting to connect the two different worlds together slowly.
Jenn S. Pd. 5
Well... I have learned just about nothing since my last comment. I learned what his new life is like, and I see no reason how that could cure him. HE IS A MUSICIAN! How is that supposed to become a cure? At the end of the book will he hate music? Why would the author do that... It would completely kill the book. I HOPE that by the end of the book I learn more about the future... Or if not could there at least be a second book to answer my questions?
Mike E. Mrs. M per 4
I have to agree with what all of you have said so far. It does feel like reading "The Cure" is like reading two seperate novels. However, I have to say, in response to Mike, that the connection between what happens in the medival times in 1348, and in 2407, must have more to it then what we are seeing. I don't think the author had the intention of making Gemm hate music. I believe the Elders are trying to show Gemm how the Christian people hated the Jewish people for being "different". While Gemm may also dislike music because of how Johannes was a musician. I believe that the author was not trying to have Gemm hate music so much as hating to be different.
Matt M. Ms.L Pd. 8
I agree with what Mike said, about how the hatred between Jews and Christians would convince Gemm/Johannes to give up music. I dont think that will work, since so far Gemm/Johannes has been very defiant. Also why did they include Maragarite if emotion is illegal? Is she going to betray him?
I wonder why in every futuristic novel or series,(Farenheit 451, uglies, THIS) there is a seemingly perfect utopian civilization that in reality somehow fools around with the brains of the people in some way without them consciously grasping it.
But then someone breaks out of the cycle and destroys it. And then the book ends.
Allen G.
Firstly, on the note of the whole "two seperate novels" thing (yes, I am going to continue arguing about it), I still don't think that it's that much like reading two seperate books. In response to Evan's post, where he said that the transition was too sudden, what else could the author have done? Made some magical lights flash in front of Gemm's eyes and had a chapter describing them? How would anything like that have added to the story? Hence, I think that the transition was handled in the most effective way possible.
Secondly, I agree with Allen. It does seem like all of these books have very similar features. It looks like a new cliche has been formed. That is one of the reasons that I often dislike books such as these. However, this one has me interested. It seems like something dire will happen. I can imagine Johannes's entire family dying. Maybe that is the "cure" for love? I still have no idea what would his desire to make music. Perhaps we will see later.
Brendan Nuse Pd. 4
Brendan, I still disagree with your idea that is like one book. I feel that it wasn't well connected either Evan. The author should've just been taking more time into introducing the next chapters. He made it too sudden.
I can't believe how cruel people were in those days and how they blamed it on the Jews. It was sad when David died. I hope Johannes knows where he's heading. I wonder how Gemm will feel when he leaves the past. WAIT but if Gemm feels everything Johannes feels, then if Johannes should die, wouldn't Gemm also die???
Martin R. Armenta
P.3
How is becoming a musician going to make gemm hate music and embrace all the stuff that the leaders preach? I think it was really cruel how the Christians treated the Jewish people. The transition from going to the market and then David dying isn't as clear as it should be. One minute they were selling and the next minute he was crucified and killed. I feel that the transition was not the greatest between these 2 parts
Rohan G. Pd 8
I think that because Gemm has experianced the music and what has happened in 1348, he will go back to the future and like music even more. Who knows, maybe he will try to convince more people of it?
I agree that the transitions in this book have been too abrupt. When Gemm went back in time, after Jacob got hurt, and in the market are all excelent examples of the transitions that haven't made too much sense. There is a total mood change that can be hard to follow sometimes.
Emily K.
In class when we were having our book club discussions my group thought of a very interesting idea that could be going on in the story.
Margerite, seems to be very similar to Gemma in the future. We also noticed that both Gemma and Margerite have red hair. We think, that Margerite could be Gemma, like Johannes is Gemm. We also think that as the story goes on we might find other examples of characters that are similar to some of Gemms friends in the future!
Brittain D - Pd 5
I think its cruel how people must blame someone for the unknown that they have to have a reason for everything. In The cure every one blamed the Jews because they did not know what was causing the deaths.
-Dan Riff
It is funny how much these people have been taught about the Jews, even the nuns thought that Jews have horns. Also I think it is interesting that one of the Jews admitted to killing and sucking the blood of a christian baby. he should have thought before he said that because now it affects all the Jews.
-Jake Riff
I'm on page 120. I was hoping that after Ben got the horse either he or his horse (Matilda I think) die. I thank that Ben is ungrateful for what he has, and for that he should die. Also, I am hoping that by the end of the book something bad happens to Johannes because he is constantly being annoying, although he has gotten better. So, in the end I hope to discover what effect the cure has on Gemm, and if He and Margarite will end up going through some misfortune!
Mike E. Mrs. M per. 4
I just finished the book.
There are a few things I want to say about it.
#1. Although this book may be very confusing at times, it was very realistic and emotional. Especially at the ending chapters. I could not stop reading those last 3 chapters.
#2. It is a strange thought, but Gemm and Johannes have similar personalities, so do Gemma and Margarite. Maybe Gemm and his twin were those people like in past lives.
#3. I wonder what the recycling process really is about. Do they actually kill people like a slaughter house? Do they inject people with something that will put them to sleep? Are they really killing people? I wonder, though, why it's called "recycling" if recycling is when you use something over again.
#4. The biggest question of all in this book, is what happens next?? Do Gemm and Gemma finally show people about music and how wonderful it is? Does Gemm get arrested again?
Anyway, this story was emotional, with a sad climax. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone, though.
Martin Armenta
P.3
Haha, Mike agrees with my "ten minute rant" now. I HATE Benjamin. He didn't deserve the horse at all! He is a selfish brat who is less mature than his seven year old sister. I mean, she asked for a "sweet or a hair ribbon", and he asked for a horse! He sounds like one of those five year old girls who ask for ponies for their birthday. I hope that if the Black Death strikes their town, Benjamin dies. Him dying would improve humanity.
-Brendan N, Pd.4
I thought it would be a different ending, but no. Anyway in the Epilogue, I don't know why Benjamin isn't mentioned (or even his horse Matilda). A very emotional ending, as I mentioned earlier.
Martin Armenta
P.3
My group has just read up to chapter seventeen and I had a couple comments that I would like to share.
-The burning of the Jews in this book reminded me of two things. First, when the author described how they were locked in buildings and then lit ablaze with a torch, an image of "the Patriot"(movie) was displayed in my head in which a similar event occured. Secondly, I was reminded of the Holocaust during WWII.
-On page 215, there is a description of one of Johannes' dreams. He says that Margarite is "frozen into a mask of blue ice. Her eyes peer out of the mask like black pebbles..." I believe that this furthur proves the point I saw Brittian wrote that Margarite is (representing) Gemma and that Johannes is (representing) Gemm in this time travel.
Peter C. – 8B Pd. 4
Well... I just finished the book. Me and Brendan were wrong, and I am unhappy. :( . The ending is to spontaneous. The die and then poof he is back to his other life. That happened way to fast. Also, Ben did not die and neither did his horse. If anyone got to escape why would it be them? I need the second book, because the ending is to abrupt. I wish something more happened. I don't know, things just happened too quickly. It was kind of like the artist was in a rush to end the book! BRENDAN get over what happened 10 chapters ago, I don't like it either but what can we do, go complain to the author? Actually that would be really funny.
- MIKE EEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGAAAANNNNNN per.4
OH WAIT, I forgot to say something!!!!!! I think the book should have just excluded the beginning and the end! The whole book should have just been about Johannes. The author started writing one book and then started writing another book on the same paper he/she used to start and end the other book. It would have been a lot better. I mean then all the complaining would only be about Ben and his horse! Then there could be less complaining and more positivity!
MMMIIIKKKEEE EEEEGGGGGAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!
Okay. I just finished the book, and all I have to say is:
WOW.
That was the strangest book I have EVER read.
And, since this is my first post, I have A LOT of questions.
Okay;
Do they wear masks because love is forbidden in their future world? But then why are they like, "in love.."
"tranquility begets harmony begets peace begets something?"
Second:
Are they ACTUALLY twins? Like, from the same parents? Or just perfect for each other because they were born at the exact same moment? Soulmates?
Thirdly:
WHY DIDN'T JOHANNES JUST LEAVE WITH HIS FAMILY AND MARGARITE'S?! SO WHAT IF IT'S AN UNFAMILIAR PLACE?! I'D RATHER BE ALIVE AND IN SOME FOREIGN PLACE THAN DEAD IN MY HOMETOWN!!!!
Fourthly:
Why can't they just cut their hair, and not wear their hats. If they did that, no one would KNOW they were Jews. Like Johannes said, they'd look like Muslims with their horse............ I mean, it would save them from getting beat up by people like Konrad.
Fifthly: (IS THAT EVEN A WORD?!)
I don't get how you hate Benjamin! I HATE Rochele.
She's probably trying to impress her parents by showing how mature and supportive she is. Kind of like all younger siblings.
Sixthly:
I know MUSIC is supposed to be an important part of this, but I don't see how this specific situation relates to music and hatred/prejudice that much. It's not like the Christians hated the Jews BECAUSE of their music. That was a part of it, but not the main part, and not even a very big factor. They would have hated them any way...
Next:
Why do they hate the Jews so much, but not the Muslims?
And then, finally,
If passion and wanting things is forbidden, HOW can Gemma want gold? How can she be so worried about Gemm.
I guess it's because I imagined them all as unfeeling robots, who loved no one. But their more than that I guess.
They're robots with feelings.
I don't think the author should have JUST written about Johannes. She shows how the prejudices y add up, and presents a future that could possibly happen; a place where no one is allowed to do anything involved with feelings...
I don't get the whole, "in love" thing.
At first, I thought that Gemm was actually saying he was in love, and should be excused for his strange behavior. ( I don't know...)
Oh, and WHAT IS RECYCLING?!
Do they like, kill themselves.
sorry, not done yet...
how can they make Gemm relive a whole experience in the past, if it was never recorded? (we know Johannes never wrote in a diary or something), but NOT shrink his cerebellum.
Kind of unrealistic...
But this book reminds me so much of Fahrenheit 451 it's not even funny.
I agree..
The endings are the same, with the protagonists ready to change the strange world they live in...
And Giver too, in a way, because of the strict restrictions set on everything... especially the "no love" part..
Okay, so that's the end of my hour long post.
My hands are aching, so even though I have more questions, I'm going to stop now.
SANSRITI T.
Ms. L Period 4
=) =( =(l)
Post a Comment