Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Jackaroo

59 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs.M said...

In class we talked about how it is important to pay attention to all of the details the author provides us in a novel to visualize what we are reading. From reading the beginning few chapters of your novel, what pictures stand out most? Are some characters and places easier to picture than others? Feel free to reference specific pages so other bloggers can go back and reread these descriptions for themselves.

Mrs. M :)

MsLperiod4 said...

I predict that Gwyn and the Steward will evantually fall DEEPLY in love and will marry eachother.


-Gregory L.

Ms. L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs.M said...

I thought it was really peculiar how Gwyn called the old woman she had just met Granny and how friendly she was to her. That stood out in the beginning for me.


~Mollie M.

Mrs.M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs.M said...

It was an interesting thought on what Tad had about Jackaroo.

-Victoria Y.

Mrs.M said...

I just finsihed the first 3 chapters of the book and I found them quite boring. It was disapointing because the plot did not advance whatsoever. I found it odd that it never states that Gwyn and Tad attend school. I thought that this could be because this part of the book could have taken place on the weekend or they are home schooled. I was also wondering if Gwyn's family has money, why wouldn't they provide transportation to go back and forth to the place where they get their food? Also, why does her family own horses? These questions should be answered throughout the book.

-Danielle pd. 5 ; )

Mrs.M said...

My friends and I were talking about the book and I think that this is one of the books that actually makes you THINK :D
I also agree with Gregory L...
I think Gwyn and Steward will eventually fall in love with each other <3 :D


Michelle Gao P.3

Mrs.M said...

I agree with Danielle, this book is tedious in the beginning, but hopefully that will change. I also think it is very rude how the mother behaves towards Gwyn. In my opinion, Gwyn should really start sticking up for herself!

-Yamini B. :)

Mrs.M said...

I found the beginning of the book to be extremely uninteresting. The whole story so far is just arising questions in me, not sparking any interest or making me want to read more. I feel as if the reader needs to have more background in order to even decently enjoy the novel. Hopefully the book will become more interesting as Jackaroo actually becomes the focus of this tale.

-Sanjana

MsLperiod8 said...

the story is sort off confusing and its kind off boring anyone help me so i can understand it better.
OI

Mrs.M said...

I also think this story is boring, I wish something exciting would happen. I think the old lady might be an important character in this book. Maybe the old lady knows Jackaroo, or Jackaroo might be staying at the inn.

Johanna L.

Mrs.M said...

I agree with Yamini, Gwyen's mom is so mean to her. I also agree that the book is very tedious at first ,but it is getting better.

Diemmi C :)

Mrs.M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs.M said...

I agree with the earlier posts that the beginning part of the book was boring, but I think that it is gradually getting better. I am interested to find out what kind of role Jackaroo will play later on in the story. It seems as if every time something bad happens, people infer that Jackaroo had something to do with it.

Peter A. Period 4

Mrs.M said...

I don't really understand why the characters sometimes call each other by "Innkeeper's daughter," or "husband," or like "wife." It sounds extremely formal, as if they are not used to each other.

Nabin L.

Mrs.M said...

The book has finally gotten better. However, I have noticed one major thing in the book so far. The Lords have not lived a life like the people, therefore they do not completely understand what the people want. I think that is the major reason why the people like Gwyn are always complaining about the Lords not helping the people.

Yamini Per. 4 =)

Mrs.M said...

I agree, this book is a little slow in the beginning. I also thought that Gwyn's mom was being really mean to her, how she made her work and help take care of the guests before eating, and told Tad to hurry in bed with food.


-Ella C. Pd. 8

MsLperiod4 said...

I agree that the book is a little boring in the beginning. However, the story starts to progress as Tad learns to use a weapon and Gwyn learns how to read and write

-Brian L.

Mrs.M said...

I'm so glad that this book is finally getting better. I'm actually excited to see what the hidden clothes Gwen found means, and who it belongs to.

Diemmi C : )

Mrs.M said...

I am really excited to know how if Gwyn and the Lordling will behave now that they know each other so well. I am also excited to see what the cloths were about.




Yamini B. =) Per. 4

Mrs.M said...

I predict that Old Megg does have some realtion to Jackaroo. Otherwise, Jackaroo wouldn't have any inpact in the story. I find it very annoying that Gwyn's mother dosen't make Tad do any work. If he dosen't start helping out, then he will never be able to run the Inn himself or with his wife. I also was annoyed that when the Lord was threatining to kill Gwyn, her family didn't stand up for her. I often recieve the impression that Gwyn's family ignores her and I wonder for what reason.

Mrs.M said...

The last comment was posted by
Danielle J. pd. 4 ; )

Mrs.M said...

I thought it was kind of funny how formally the Lordling and Gwyn talked to each other. Like him calling her "Innkeeper's Daughter" all the time. It was nice how in the end they got comfortable enough with each other to tell stories and call each other by their real names.

Mrs.M said...

I am surprised that the lordling acts older than his age. Maybe it is because he has been away from his mother for a long time. I feel sorry for him because he never sees his mother that often, maybe if he did he would be happier.

Johanna L. period 3

Mrs.M said...

i think its really gross when gwyn said "i wonder what my mother will think of me washing in midwinter?". so like they only take baths like once a year or something?? eewwwwwww ewwwwww ew
-khanna

Mrs.M said...

There are many comments posted agreeing that Jackaroo is getting better, but in my opinion, it really isn't. The author spends too much of the story on useless details and drones on and on about unimportant and banal topics that have no relation to the meaning of the story. The few somewhat suspenseful events and questions are never answered or expanded on, and if they are, it is so much later in the book that the reader has thoroughly lost interest.

Anyhow, I found Gaderian and Gwyn's relationship to be unique and powerful, and this connection may bring some meaning to the story later. I pictured Gaderian as a bit older in my mind; if only he was, and if only they were not so separated by status, for the loving and loyal connection between the Lordling and Gwyn was evident. Perhaps he will return later in the book.

-Sanjana

Ms. L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

who is burl?

Hey. The character Burl was mentioned few times in the story Jackaroo, and I don't know who he is. Can anyone tell me who he is?

- Ishar K.

Mrs.M said...

I think that the clothes Gwyn found is going to be used later in the story. I kind of think that Gwyn might pretend to be Jackaroo and help the poor and needy.

Mrs.M said...

whoops i forgot to add my name for that one.

Diemmi C <3

Mrs.M said...

Diemmi, my book club also talked about what the relationship between Jackaroo and Gwyn may be. We are also guessing that she will be the next Jackaroo, since she already has done some acts similar to what he would do. Remember the goat she took from Old Megg's and gave to the old couple?

-Summer A. 8th period

Mrs.M said...

I just remembered there is a map in the front of the book. This helped me visualize where Gwyn lives. I hope this map helps other readers too.

Johanna L. period 3

Mrs.M said...

After Gwyn and the Lordling spend time together in Old Megg's house, the Lordling said something about that he wasn't soupoused to talk to Gwyn. I thought that this was odd because if he is going to be a Lord one day, he should be voluble with the people in the Kingdom. Also, I think that it's becoming annoying that Gwyns' family keeps presuring her to get married. I think that she should try to find a husband from what Old Magg said. She said that her life was miserable without a husband or children. So, I think Gwyn should try to get married for her own sake!

Mrs.M said...

The last comment was posted by
Danielle J. pd. 4 ; )

Mrs.M said...

I've noticed that the Lordling sometimes acts older than his real age and that he sometimes act a little snobby when Gwen have first met him.


Victoria Y.

Mrs.M said...

I cannot forgive Gwyn's family for betraying her like that. I understand why they acted as they did, but it was unforgivable!!! Will it feel awkward for Gwyn to be around them now? I also think that if her family really knew her, they would know how hardworking she is for the family and never forgets her duties. If they really knew her, they would instantly know that she'd never leave behind the lordling. It just proves they don't truly know nor believe her. If she had been killed, they would have done nothing about it and only hide their faces in shame if anyone had asked them why she was killed. I do not like her family one bit.

-Nabin L.

Mrs.M said...

Summer, I do remember the goat she gave to old Megg, and yea it fits, i get where your coming from. But since I've already read on I know she does become Jackaroo (sorry if that ruins it for anyone). I think its sweet what she decides to do, but I'm guessing that later on she might have some trouble keeping the secret or hiding real identity.


Diemmi C <3 xoxo

Mrs.M said...

I wonder if Jackaroo did exist, maybe there were many people who pretended to be Jackaroo just like how Gwyn helped that man pay his taxes.

Johanna L. period 3

Mrs.M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs.M said...

In the book it seems like Gwyn's mother is always in a bad mood. She is always complaining and getting angry at Gwyn and Tad. Also, I couldn't figure out why Gwyn's parents weren't really worried that she was away in a snowstorm for twelve days. It seemed as if they didn't care much about it.

Peter A. Period 8 (I accidently posted Period 4 last time, whoops...)

Mrs.M said...

I feel that Gwyn is doing a good deed in helping the poor man. I agree with Nabin that what her family did was unforgivable. Also, it is as if the family has no attachment towards Gwyn. In my opinion the book has not really gotten to a clear story yet.

Mrs.M said...

Whoops, the last comment was by:
Yamini Bhandari Per. 4 =)

Mrs.M said...

I thought it was kind of funny how formally the Lordling and Gwyn talked to each other. Like him calling her "Innkeeper's Daughter" all the time. It was nice how in the end they got comfortable enough with each other to tell stories and call each other by their real names.

woops, the name didn't show up. that was posted by Ella C.

Mrs.M said...

When Gwyn got back, i was surprised to find out that she had been gone 12 whole days, and her parents weren't freaking out that she had been gone so long. It also surprised me that her dad didn't argue with her decision to marry. Maybe because he wants her to keep working at the inn?

Mrs.M said...

That last comment was by Ella C. Pd.8

Mrs.M said...

I wonder what Gwyn feels like after hearing rumors about Jackaroo. I'm sure she feels as if she's doing the right thing, but is this what she intended to happen? When it says, "Gwyn listened with no expression on her face, but her heart laughed", does it mean that Gwyn is trying to keep her secret but is enjoying the good that she has done?

I think I might have missed something important, but since Gwyn found Jackaroo's clothes at Old Megg's house, does that make Megg the old Jackaroo? I wonder if Megg wanted this to happen. There are similarities between Megg and Gwyn that I noticed too - they are both strong-willed, unmarried women.

Mrs.M said...

Sorry, that last comment was from Sanjana, Pd. 3

Mrs.M said...

I like how Gwyn is dressing as Jackaroo and helping people. Especially when she gave her sister, Blithe, the baby from the fire. I'm happy that Blithe is now happy again, for I extremely didn't like how she lagged on about her lost son. I wonder is Gwyn plans on continuing to help others. Up to now, she's been using the gold from the lordling and lord, but how will she help the others after she runs out of the gold?

-Nabin L.

Mrs.M said...

After reading most of this book, I feel that it was all about girls. Why did Gwyn dress up as Jackaroo just to make people happy? She should just be honest with the people and show the truth. I feel that this book is showing how females can be important as well. This book felt very boring to me and I was disappointed by what its results were. I hoped in the beginning of the book it would start slow and then slowly pick up, but it was slow throughout the whole book.

Nikhil D. Pd. 8

Mrs.M said...

I thought that it was weird that the house Gwyn found burning, was the three mens' house from earlier in the book. I wondered why the author decided to have their house burning instead of any other character previously mentioned. I also was wondering if Blithe will keep the baby that Gwyn delivered to her as Jackaroo. Blithe could possibly not keep the baby because she is so stubborn and is still grieving about the death of her child last winter.

Danielle J. pd 4 ; )

Mrs.M said...

Blithe did keep the baby, and I thought that was good because it took her out of her grieving and now she can be normal again. I also think Gwyn shouldn't have thrown the ring to the Steward, because that would only lead to trouble.

Yamini B. =) Per.4

Mrs.M said...

I like the ending, but I didn't think it was satisfying. I'm not going to talk about it though for those of you who hasn't reached it yet. I don't want to spoil it, if there's anything to spoil. But Gwyn did end up happy and knowing what she really wanted to do with her life.

-Nabin L.

Mrs.M said...

The book is seriously getting better. I think there should be a movie about this book, although they should skip the first half. All in all this book wasn't that bad. I would recommend it to people.

Diemmi C <3

Mrs.M said...

I just finished the book. I thought it was okay. The first part was annoying because it was moving so slowly. I didn't like the ending at all. I thought that the author could have ended the book better by Burl and Gwyn getting married. I also found it disturbing that Gwyn's cut on her leg went almost to her bone. I thought she would have been in much worse pain if the cut was that deep.

Mrs.M said...

The last comment was posted by
Danielle Johnson ; )

Mrs.M said...

I just finished the book, and I feel that the ending was suficient, but it seemed a bit rushed. In my opinion, the author was very slow in the beginning, and rushed to fit everything in the end. I agree with Danielle, that it should have hurt her more. I also agree with Diem-mi that there should be a movie.

Yamini B. :) Per.4

Mrs.M said...

I think that Blithe needs to get over the death of her kid and take care of the boy that Gwyn rescued. I mean, really, it's been years. I agree, the 2nd part of the book is better than the 1st, because the first half went really, really slowly.

-Ella C. Pd.8